Your baby may be referred to further specialist services following their discharge. Below is a comprehensive list of services you may come across.
If your baby or child needs to see a specialist you may be referred onto the public wait list through the Child Development Centre. They will asses the referral and wait list your child accordingly.
If you would prefer to see a private specialist then please speak to your GP.
- Neurologist: Treats nervous system problems in babies/children. Includes diseases of the brain, spinal cord and nerves, such as epilepsy, cerebral palsy and other nerve & muscle diseases.
- Allergist/Immunologist: Helps treat allergies or other problems relating to the immune system.
- Respiratory/Pulmonologist: Diagnoses, treats and manages babies/children with breathing and lung diseases.
- Nephrologist (Renal): Kidney function, kidney problems, treats kidney problems with renal therapies such as dialysis.
- Gastroentorologist: Treats and manages the gastrointestinal tracts, digestive system, liver and pancreas.
- Gynaecologist: Female reproductive system.
- Otolaryngologist (Ear, Nose & Throat): Experienced in surgical or complex medical illnesses or problems affecting the ear, nose or throat.
- Audiologist: Looks at the hearing, balance and related disorders.
- Dermatologist: Treats and manages diseases that affect the skin, hair or nails.
- Surgical: Manages your baby if they need surgery.
- Ophthalmologist: Focuses on visual development and vision care.
- Rheumatologist: Provides care to babies & children with rheumatic diseases such as arthritis.
- Orthopedics: Treats musculoskeletal (bone, joint or muscle) problems in babies and children still growing.
- Cardiologist: Diagnoses and treats diseases affecting the heart and blood vessels.
- Paediatrician: Specialises in babies, children and their diseases.
- Physiotherapist: Helps with movement, co-ordination, posture and cardiorespiratory system.
- Occupational Therapist: Helps improve cognitive, physical and motor skills.
- Nutritionist/Dietician: Specialises in nutrition for babies and children with specific needs.
- Speech Therapist: Helps with your child's speech needs.