CREATING AWARENESS FOR ALL BABIES ADMITTED TO NEONATAL UNITS
WESTERN AUSTRALIA'S PREMIER CHARITY FOR HIGH-RISK
PREGNANCY AND BABIES BORN SICK OR PREMATURE.
'Our story is simply an iteration of the 4,000 other West Australian babies admitted to neonatal units each year, and the 15 million babies world wide, born too soon. Our son was born fighting for life at just 25 weeks gestation, weighing 865 grams. His skin was transparent, his eyes fused shut, his ears were just flaps of skin with no folds. It was 18 long days before we were able to hold him, and months watching him grow and learn to breathe on his own, right before our eyes. He endured countless procedures in the neonatal unit, lumbar punctures, blood transfusions, IVs, long lines, chest x-rays, head scans medications and more. We were the lucky ones, we took our baby home. The effects don't end when you leave the neonatal unit, they can be life long. Prematurity is the leading cause of death and disability in children under 5 world wide, but it's not the only reason for admission to a neonatal unit.' - Amber Bates Co-founder and Chairperson of Tiny Sparks WA
Today and everyday about 94 babies are welcomed into the world in Western Australia. 84 of them will join their parents and families at home in the next few days, 2 of them were born before 32 weeks gestation and are in for the fight of their life, 6 of them were born between 32 weeks and 36 weeks, a further 2 will have been born full term but sick, a path their parents no doubt thought they would not be travelling.
We are proud to say that we are WA's premier charity for high-risk pregnancy and babies born sick or premature. We are 100% volunteer run and our programs seek to create a deeper connection within the community, improving the health and wellbeing of others. Programs include:
- Bedrest Care Packages
- Neonatal Unit Care Packages
- Developmental Playgroup
- Coffee Mornings
- Peer to Peer Support
- Advocacy + more
We would like to invite you ALL to join us in raising awareness throughout November as part of 'Neonatal November'. We seek to raise awareness and connection within the community for ALL babies admitted to neonatal units, regardless of cause.
Our key event for Neonatal November will be our FREE Family Fun Day on World Prematurity Day at Bardon Park, Maylands on Saturday, November 17 from 10am to 2pm. We invite the entire community to come together in recognition of the day and celebration of 'Neonatal November'. Whilst this is a FREE event we would appreciate you registering. Those who register will be eligible for an event show bag (one per family, while stocks last) and also go in the running for an event door prize drawn on the day.
Other ways you can get involved in Neonatal November include:
- If you are a business consider running a special promotion through November or just on World Prematurity Day where a percentage of sales or a specific dollar amount is donated to us for every purchase made.
- Contact us about including a sample product or promotional materials in our event show bags.
- Have a free dress day, or wear purple in your workplace on World Prematurity Day to show support and raise awareness. Consider collecting a gold coin donation.
- Have a ‘tiny bites for tiny sparks’ lunch, morning or afternoon tea in your home, workplace or school with proceeds as a donation.
- Light your home or workplace purple on World Prematurity Day and join the wave of purple light sweeping the globe at 7pm.
- Run you own fundraising event, garage sale, online auction, quiz, bingo, cake stall etc. Please contact us for support in advertising your event, promotional logos etc.
Don't forget to tag us on social media about your participation #tinysparkswa @tinysparkswa #worldprematurityday
Neonatal November ~ World Prematurity Day ~ 17 November ~ Event Collaborators
PO Box 1114
West Leederville WA 6901
Content on this Site is provided for general information only. It is not intended as professional advice, and should not be relied upon as a
substitute for consultations with qualified professionals who can determine your individual needs.
Images and information on this website are copyright. You do not have permission to copy, download or use without our express consent.