We are thrilled to announce our 2016 Christmas Quilt Project. This year we will be distributing Christmas Stockings to babies in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit and Special Care Nursery in hospitals throughout WA.
We are grateful to Amy Smart who blogs at Dairy of a Quilter in providing permission for us to use her 'Easy Quilted Stocking Tutorial'. You can find the instructions to make your Christmas Quilt here.
Last year we were overwhelmed by the generosity of the public, we had donations from all over the country and stopped counting Christmas Quilts when we reached 1000! Please don’t let that deter you as the more we receive, the more we can distribute!
We have set out the guidelines below to assist everyone in the administration of the project. Tiny Sparks WA is completely volunteer run and most of have children and work so we’d be really grateful if you could please read this information carefully before contacting us.
- Can I deviate from the instructions/patterns/specifications? – No, we ask that you follow the instructions carefully. They have been set out for a reason. The hospitals have very specific guidelines about what can be around the babies in the NICU and SCN.
- What material should I use? – 100% cotton (or very close please). No flannel.
- Should I prewash the material? – Either way is fine please.
- What cotton should I use? - Cotton or poly/cotton blend is fine.
- What designs can the material have? – Anything that is in the Christmas spirit, please make sure the design is child appropriate.
- Can I add a personal touch to the stocking? – Yes! Embroidery and applique is fine.
- Can I add my name, sewing tag to the stocking? – Yes, we just ask that you keep it small.
- Can I contact you to make some other arrangements? Given the volume of donations we handle we cannot make individual arrangements.
- Will I get a personalised response about my donation? We will attempt to acknowledge all donations sent in, although are only able to do so if you provide us with your name and email address clearly written inside your donated quilt project package. We are unable to post a response due to limited resources. Please allow for up to a month for us to acknowledge any items posted or hand delivered.
- How many stockings can I make? – We would prefer that each person make no more than 10 stockings each.
- Do you need Christmas Quilts for 2016? – No, we have some reserved from last year which will be distributed along with the Christmas Stockings.
- What else can I sew for you? – We need sewers and knitters all year round. If you’d like to help further, please see the details here.
When and how can I get my donation to you?
- We ask that all donations are received to us by 30 November 2016. This will enable us time to sort and send out donations state wide in advance of the Christmas postal rush. Any donations received after this time will be put aside for next year.
- You can post your Christmas Stocking to us at:
Tiny Sparks WA, PO Box 1114, West Leederville WA 6901.
- Please note that any old addresses that you may have are no longer suitable for donations.
If you have a question that has not been answered in the above, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org It may take us 48 – 72 hours to respond to you.