We are looking to provide 200 Christmas quilts to neonatal nurseries right across Western Australia and need your help!
Jill of Patchwork Place in Albany has kindly designed a pattern for us to share with our sewers and hope that they might join them in creating some beautiful memories. You can download the instructions here, or find them below.
You can post or deliver items to Tiny Sparks WA, PO Box 1114, West Leederville WA 6901.
We would appreciate if they could be sent in by the 4th December to allow us time to put together and send off to the metro and regional hospitals.
Update: Thankyou to all of the generous quilters across Western Australia and even the rest of Australia who have contributed to this program and answered our request for assistance! We have been overwhelmed with the response and surpassed the 200 quilts requested. Make sure you subscribe to our blog and 'like' our Facebook page to keep up to date with all things Tiny Sparks WA and for news of next years project! Original blog and request below FYI)
Christmas Quilts for Tiny Sparks WA
Size 16" x 24"
41 cm x 61 cm
Piece backing approx. 18" x 26" (45cm x 65 cm) - white or cream
Piece 100% cotton light weight batting/wadding same size as backing piece.
Small amounts of Christmas coloured fabrics.
Any basic 4" or 8" block pattern
Keep blocks simple.
Avoid using yellow or gold.
Use conventional quilt binding or a commercial satin or pre-made binding or finish by “bagging” then turning through to right side. Top stitch around edge if using last method.
100% cotton fabrics (though not essential) are easier to work with.
A - Basic 4" Block - Total of 24 squares cut 4 ½" x 4 ½ " in Christmas colours
- Arrange design into 6 rows of 4
- Join together into rows with ¼ " seam.
- Press seams in row 1 to the right, in row 2 to the left, row 3 to the right etc
- Join the rows together.
B - Basic 8" Block - Cut 6 squares 8 ½" x 8 ½ "in at least 2 Christmas colours.
- Sew into 3 rows of 2.
- Press seams in alternating directions then join rows together.
- Lay the backing right sides down, place the wadding on top and finally the pieced top right sides up. Pin together and quilt.
- Prepare binding by joining the 2 bits end to end with a mitred (angled) seam.
- Press in half lengthways. Sew onto the right side of the quilt having ALL raw edges level. Mitre the corners as you sew.
- Trim off the excess from the edges.
- Handstitch the folded edge of binding over onto the back of the quilt.